Monday, October 21, 2013

Musing over Music


Careless Whispers

“Time can never mend,
the careless whispers of a good friend.”

They are still my friends,
my lovers, these whispers,
though they invite my destruction.
Each is a kind dagger
seductively cutting my soul,
trying to fool me into damnation,
a thousand tongues,
a million teeth and fangs,
pinching and biting
teasing my ears with sultry kisses.

“To the heart and mind,
Ignorance is kind.”

Ignorance is not so kind.
It is a tribunal of blackened saints
hanging upside down.
They disarm and confuse me.
I don’t know where they are,
Who they are,
the man on the corner
across the street
watching me,
or the one walking on the highway before me.
Who are they?
I’m blind
and ignorant within shadows,
a shadow with an outline of dimming light.

“There’s no comfort in the truth.
Pain is all you’ll find.”

They tell my truth,
proclaiming to know it.
They have my truth
and snatch it away,
that iridescent pearl that is/was my wisdom.
My Devils in angel masks,
beautiful demons
languor in their painful pursuits.
They want me there.
That will make them happy.

Can I please them?

My whispers lap my ear, my mind, my soul,
sylphs of time,
shifts of light,
visions of mystical insight,
who are noises of everything and nothing. 
They are my truth,
my prison keepers,
my torturers,
lovers in my deconstruction.

Song lyrics taken from “Careless Whisper” performed by George Michael

 © 2013 Stella Moreaux

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Mardi Gras!

  It's that time of the year again, Fat Tuesday. Happy Mardi Gras! Everyone is enjoying themselves today, whether in Mobile or New Orlea...