Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Remembrance

Remembrance



I received the news of Ms. Cicely Tyson’s death several days ago. I’ve been mulling it over whether or not to post this entry, so I will. This is my memory of this great woman. I remember Ms. Tyson from a speaking event that was hosted at Jefferson Davis Community College in Brewton, AL. That college is now a branch of Coastal Alabama Community College. I was in high school at the time and was able to attend. Anyways, Ms. Tyson was the first celebrity that I’d seen up close and personal. The day was a bit humdrum, and I was getting a little bored, and then Ms. Tyson took the stage. She was so dynamic and commanded the audience’s attention with a scene reenacting the first day of a school was being integrated and the young black girl was being heckled by a crowd as she walked to school. That scene was the teaser, and an awesome one it was. The rest of Ms. Tyson’s talk with us teens was inspiring.  As the young folks say, she was fire! Even though the minute details of that day at Jefferson Davis are a bit fuzzy now, I remember how Ms. Tyson inspired and motivated me. I’m glad that I attended that event.

I had only known her for her role as Ms. Jane Pittman, but I got the opportunity to see her range and depth as an actress. She inhabited her characters and made them her own. The last role I recall seeing Ms. Tyson in was as the maid Constantine in The Help, and her character moved me. I watched some of her last interview with Gayle King during CBS This Morning and parts of another interview that aired on another network. It is interesting because I watched a program on PBS a while ago, a biography of Maya Angelou, and Ms. Tyson was interviewed and was a friend of Ms. Angelou, and she discussed how great Ms. Angelou was. Ms. Tyson moved in the circles of greatness because she was great as well. I was glad to hear that she’d published her memoir, Just as I Am. During the last part of the interview, Ms. King asked Ms. Tyson how she wanted to be remembered, and Ms. Tyson remarked, “That I did my best.” My Big Mama always said, “When you do your best, you don’t have to worry about the rest.” Ms. Tyson definitely did that and then some. Rest in eternity, Ms. Tyson. Now, y’all go on out and check out her memoir. I certainly will. Until next time, y’all hold it in the road. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Mardi Gras!

  It's that time of the year again, Fat Tuesday. Happy Mardi Gras! Everyone is enjoying themselves today, whether in Mobile or New Orlea...