Monday, November 12, 2018

A Cool Book






Hey! I finished reading a book Friday. One of my colleagues recently turned me on to audio books. Thanks Marcus! Anyways, since I do lots of commuting, I have ample time to think and listen. I guess you can say that I live in my head most of the day. The radio used to be my standby but, like I said, Marcus turned me on to the app Audible. At first I thought my brain would not adjust to a book being read to me. Boy was I wrong, and I'm glad I was. Marcus turned me on to the author Steven Pressfield's book The War of Art, and it informed me on the problem of resistance, something that everyone grapples with. I know I fought with it when I was trying to write Water's Memory. Well, I enjoyed that book, and I picked another by the same author. After listening to the book, I've started to rethink some of my story and novel plots. It's got me thinking what each piece is really about. After I finished the book, I reworked Chapter One of Water's Memory trying to get to the inciting event.  I'm glad that I listened to the book and found it very useful. When I finish Shawn Coyne's Story Grid, I'll have another tool in my box that will help me better my craft. I encourage you all to pick up Steven Pressfield's book, Nobody Wants to Read Your Sh*t. And while you're in the bookstore, be it physically or virtually, get The War of Art as well.  Let me know what you thought of the books. Until next time, keep it in the road!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Mardi Gras!

  It's that time of the year again, Fat Tuesday. Happy Mardi Gras! Everyone is enjoying themselves today, whether in Mobile or New Orlea...